Thursday, July 18, 2013

What Are The Symptoms of Arthritis?


About six months ago I began to experience severe joint pain and suspected that I was developing arthritis. Right then I knew I needed to learn the symptoms of arthritis

Eventually I went to a physician who confirmed my suspicions but prior to that I did a bit of research and this is what I found. These are the questions I learned that you need to ask to discover if you have symptoms of arthritis.

Does physical exercise and increased activity exacerbate the pain in your joints?

Is your pain symmetric? When I first went to the doctor complaining about pain in my elbow, the doctor dismissed it out of hand, as a repetitive strain disorder. But when I told him that the pain was bilateral, and that I rarely used my left arm in my repetitive activities, he then began to share my concern about arthritis.

Does your joint hurt when you bend the limb in a normal way? Does the joint pop or creek?

Is there swelling in the joint? Is this skin around the joint becoming shiny and tight? Both osteoarthritis, which is a degeneration of the joints and rheumatoid arthritis, an inflammation of the joints will produce joint swelling.

An early sign of arthritis is stiffness upon waking. If you're experiencing morning stiffness which tends to subside somewhat after the first half hour so of movement, it could be a sign of arthritis

In osteoarthritis, cartilage and bone rub together and a person can often hear, what is been described as a grating sound. If your bones and joints seem to crackle or make an unusual noises when moving, or if you experience a gritty sensation in your joints, it may be an indication of arthritis.

A temperature test can be helpful in determining whether the symptoms are experiencing arthritis. Place a hand on each of your joints, for instance one hand on your right knee and another on your left knee. Is there a noticeable temperature difference? If your joints feel unusually warm, it may be a sign of a rheumatoid arthritis. It could also be an indication of gout, or an infection of the joint. If you experience coldness, if your joints are unusually cool it may well be a sign of osteoarthritis

Is the onset of your joint pain concurrent with swelling or fever? This symptom could be a sign of rheumatoid arthritis or an infection of the joint.

No comments:

Post a Comment