The word 'arthritis' is means 'inflammation of joints'. Usually it is a chronic disease process. In various forms arthritis affects the people but most frequent it affects in the form of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis is also known as degenerative joint disease and usually it affects the older age group people. Rheumatoid arthritis is little bit serious disease. It also affects muscles, tendons and other tissues of the body apart from the joints of the wrists, fingers, hips, knees and feet.
Though, symptoms of arthritis are different for different types of arthritis. But some of its common symptoms are pain and stiffness in the joints, anemia, colitis and deformed hands and feet. Usually after doing some exercise, the pain in the joints increases. In rheumatoid arthritis the whole body is affected gradually.
There are different causes of arthritis. Some of its common causes are hormonal imbalance, physical and emotional stress, heredity and structural changes in the articular cartilage in the joints.
Arthritis can be treated in different ways to get an effective result. Many people go on changing their treatment plan as it suits them. But to find the best treatment for arthritis is a long process. The best goals of the treatment of arthritis are -
1. To decrease the symptoms of arthritis.
2. Maintain the function of joint.
3. To preserve mobility and range of motion.
4. Prevent or minimize the damage and deformities in the joint.
5. Slow progression of the disease.
Different treatments of arthritis
1. Treatment of arthritis through medication: It is considered to be the traditional treatment for arthritis. Doctors prescribe one or two medicines depending upon the severity of arthritis.
2. Injections into a joint: Several types of injections are there which can be given locally into the joint. For specific, painful joint local steroid injections can be used.
3. Natural treatments: Now days most of the people are interested in natural treatments rather than going for traditional medications or joint injections. There are several options for natural treatment. They are known as alternative treatments. Though they are very popular but not fully endorsed for its safety and effectiveness.
4. Complementary medicines: This type of treatment for arthritis is also very popular. It includes regular exercises, yoga, eating nutritious diet, intake of fruits and green vegetables etc.
5. Surgical options: Some people are left with no option rather than opting surgical option. This is considered to be the last resort treatment option.