Among the most frequent joint diseases is osteoarthritis of knee. It occurs when the cartilage suffers gradual wear and tear. According to doctors, the cartilage is a cushion layer situated between the knee bones. Also called the degenerative joint disease, osteoarthritis could as well affect other body joints. When the cartilage deteriorates, the knee joint feels stiff and sore. In the last steps of the disease, the pain and discomfort is unbearable. Consequently, the sick person could hardly walk steadily or even try to move his or her knee freely. Since the cushion between two bones no longer exists after degeneration, any movement will cause friction. This is because the bones will grind against each other. The result is intolerable soreness and discomfort.
The causes of osteoarthritis are numerous. However, not all the cases of the disease are necessarily similar, in terms of severity and frequency. The following is a brief outline of the known causes:
• Chances of developing osteoarthritis are high if you have had a serious knee injury in the past
• Being overweight is a good cause of many diseases, including this one. This is because heavy weight pressurizes the joints, as you walk. Consequently, the cartilage layer will slowly wear away
• Some cases of degeneration joint disease is gender specific
• Aging is generally the main cause of weaker joints, which eventually result to osteoarthritis
Several knee diseases show up closely related symptoms. Therefore, if you diagnose your problem, you are likely to be very incorrect. The most recommended action to take is to visit your doctor. He or she is in a position to examine your knee expertly. If you have this disease, you will generally have the following symptoms:
• Knee join soreness, stiffness and unbearable discomfort
• You will find walking as a punishment. If the knee joint cannot withstand your body weight, you cannot move properly.
• The cartilage degeneration continues to occur, as you try to figure what is happening to your knees
It is very important that you always take your health seriously. If you notice the above signs, do not take chances. Visit your doctor right away. This is fastest method of preventing more damage to the knee joints. When the physician is performing diagnosis, he or she will ask you to talk about your knee pain. In short, he or she will find out how worse the soreness gets, if, you workout and then rest. The doctor is much more likely to examine the problem with leg movement. Do not fear the check up exercise.
Your doctor might squeeze the joint slightly, but he or she may recommend an instant X-ray of the knee. The X-ray shows the exact cause of the soreness and discomfort. As some of you already know, osteoarthritis of knee disease is broad. To find out if a patient has other types of this disease, the doctor might take a blood sample. The treatment procedure could differ from patient to patient. Nevertheless, doctors recommend therapies to alleviate the knee joint pains. Generally, he or she will ask you to do the following:
• After a walk or any form of knee exercises, you should always take your time to rest
• For twenty to thirty minutes, you could place an ice cube on the painful parts of the knee. Do this everyday to minimize inflammation. It will ease the pain too.
• Take a specific over the counter cure. Never decide personally the medicine to pick between ibuprofen and acetaminophen. The doctor should guide you
• For stronger muscles and joints, you need to focus on special exercise. You need to work with a practitioner, who understands osteoarthritis of knee disease very well.
• In severe cases, physicians prescribe surgery.