Boswellia or the extract of salai guggal is a standardized powder extract of the gum of the Boswellia tree which contains a mixture of Boswellic acids. Boswellic acids are very effective in the problem related to osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, soft tissue rheumatism and also in the low back pain as it is an anti-arthritic and anti-inflammatory agent.
In comparison to the other standard drug of choice for rheumatic disorders the extract of boswellia is more beneficial as it is less toxic and also more potent. The different benefits of boswellia includes increased mobility, reduction in joint swelling, steroid sparing action, less morning stiffness and improved grip strength. It is very helpful in improving the general quality of life for both the problem of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
The Latin name of Boswellia Serrata is Shallaki Guggal. Shalaki is an anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic extract in Ayurveda. It is very helpful in treating the problem of arthritis as the therapeutic action of shallaki extract includes decrease of joint restoration, swellings and also improvement in the supply of blood to the joints which is inflamed, increased the mobility, increase relief in pain and amelioration of morning stiffness.
This ayurvedic extract is also used to improve lower the elevated serum transaminase levels, alleviate the general weakness, appetite and debility. Shallaki reduces the erythrocyte sedimentation rates and synovial fluid leucocyte count. Shallaki is very effective in rheumatoid arthritis as it is very effective in shrinking inflamed tissues which is mediated through a vascular phenomenon. Shallalki is very helpful in improving blood supply to the joints and also restores the integrity of blood vessels.
Usually the health practitioner recommends 1-2 capsules twice a day after the meal. Some of the important health benefits of this herb are -
1. The main cause behind each pain is vata, so shallaki is very helpful in relieving pain.
2. It is very effective in curbing any type of pain and swelling as it works as anti-inflammatory substance due to the presence of boswellic acid.
3. It is very popular and effective for arthritic problems like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, skeletal muscle pain and also joint pains.
4. Shallaki is also popular in the treatment for cancer as it contains anti cancerous properties.
5. It is very effective in healing wound. It is commonly used as wound healer herb.
6. Boswellia Serrata works effectively in eliminating any foul odor.