Monday, August 12, 2013

Exercising With Rheumatoid Arthritis


Introduction

Rheumatoid arthritis ended my normal exercise routine. I was running 10 Kilometers (10K) daily and was good shape. Then when I turned 55 years of age, I went for a 10K run and the next day I could hardly walk.

The doctor told me I had rheumatoid arthritis and I should take some pills with COX-2 inhibitors. They did a good job and allowed me to continue running. Then, COX-2 was linked to heart attacks and my doctor took me off them.

That ended my running days, so I needed to look for something else to do.

What is rheumatoid arthritis, what exercises do I do and what do I take to relieve the aches and pains of rheumatoid arthritis?

Rheumatoid Arthritis

The cause of rheumatoid arthritis is not known, but rheumatoid arthritis is believed to be caused by the immune system, called an autoimmune disease. This is when the body's immune system attacks parts of the body that it believes has an infection but in fact is perfectly healthy.

The immune system responds this way because of excessive amounts of inflammation in the body. This excessive amount of inflammation normally comes from the body consuming Omega-6 in excess. Omega-6 provides the body with needed inflammation hormones, but excess inflammation can lead to different autoimmune diseases.

Excess inflammation is not the case for me. I limit my intake of Omega-6 by reducing the amount of processed foods I eat. Processed foods are where we the American people get our excess Omega-6. I also take Omega-3 supplements keep the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 at the recommended value of 2 to 1. Omega-3 provides the body with needed anti inflammation hormones.

Exercises For Rheumatoid Arthritis

Since the only joints in my body that are affected by this disease are in my legs, I have been able to continue to lift weights. In order to get my aerobics, I have taken to riding a stationary bike for 60 minutes a day, at 17 miles per hour. This has allowed me to keep my resting heat beat at about 55 beats per minute and my Body Mass Index (BMI) at 23.

Both the BMI and heart beat are in the good range.

Supplements For Rheumatoid Arthritis

I take Omega-3 to help relieve the aches and pains from my arthritis. Also by limiting my intake of Omega-6 I reduce the amount of inflammation in my body.

Several studies have shown that taking Omega-3 while exercising, called FOX (fish oil and exercising), lost more fat than a person exercising and not taking fish oil. Plus it also reduces the stress from exercising by lowering the heart rate and lowering the blood pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment